I don’t know about you, but after the holidays I tend to get a little blue. It doesn’t help that I live in an area of California known for its death fog and endless days where we don’t see the sun and it doesn’t even rain. By now you’ve probably figured out that I love color and am not afraid of it (a key to the un-mom look). I know it’s not spring yet, but a girl can dream. And a little, or a lot, of color can do wonders to boost the old mood.
I can personally vouch for this outfit, because I own the key pieces and they are wonderful. The first time I wore this outfit, I took a walk to meet my hubby for lunch. It happened to be an unseasonably warm and sunny day here (could it be the outfit?) and as I passed people on the street I noticed that both men and women alike were dressed head to toe in black. What is this, New York City? This is California people…live a little! They all looked a little bummed, but I felt sunny.
1. Tartine Cardigan in Bright Rhubarb or Deep Persimmon :: J. Crew :: $19.99. Why it works: I am a sucker for cardigans because of their versatility and lightweight ones like this can be worn all year long. The subtle chiffon ruffle at the neck and hem make this extra girlie without going too far. Looks great layered over a cami or buttoned all the way up. Plus these (and the cords below) are on crazy clearance right now—$19.99 each!
2. Favorite-Fit Stretch Vintage Bootcut Cord in Golden Yellow :: J. Crew :: $19.99. Why they work: Cords are a great alternative to jeans. These are very soft and incredibly comfortable and flattering. The bright yellow too much for you? They come in lots of other colors if you are feeling so brave.
3. Lace Trim Cami in Light Brown :: bodenusa.com :: $20.00.
Why it works: I love layering and this soft brown cami helps ground all of the brightness. Plus if it’s still chilly in your parts it will give you some added insulation. This one has a very flattering fitted silhouette that lays nicely under the sweater and some lace detail at the neck echoing the sweater’s little ruffle.
4. Anya Hindmarch® for Target® Large Shoulder Bag in Gold/ Cream :: Target :: $? Why it works: The unexpected tailoring of this bag plays nicely against the gold detail. The metallic trim adds some warmth and a tad of glamour to the outfit. These are only available in stores (price unavailable online…but it’s Target and they are on clearance so you know it won’t break the bank).
5. Turquoise Hued Nugget Necklace :: bananarepublic.com :: $69.00. Why it works: Turquoise is timeless and it looks great with red, coral and bright orange. This piece adds some texture to the soft clothing.
6. Poetic Licence Desert Star Mary Janes in Zebra :: planetshoes.com :: $39.00. Why they work: Again, I have these and I love them. I wear animal print shoes with everything—skirts, jeans, dressy and casual. You’ll be amazed at how much wear you get out of these. The chic box toe is paired with fun athletic-y sole making these versatile city. They also add some much needed pattern to the color block outfit. (Also here and here; prices and sizes vary).
7. Plastic Fashion Full-Rim Frame in Orange :: zennioptical.com :: $12.95 lens + frame. Why they work: I wear glasses and thought it would be fun to do regular glasses instead of sunglasses this time. There are so cheap that even if you don’t need glasses you could do the cute librarian thing for the day! Even mom needs a little dress up fun in her day.