Monday, August 24, 2009

back to school/back to work

if you click on me, i get bigger!
I'm feeling a little envious today. It's Jackson's first day of school. As a kid, one of the best things about starting school was the new school supplies. I still love the feel of a college-ruled notebook and the smell of a freshly sharpened No. 2 pencil. So I got to thinking, I don't get to go back to school but maybe it's time for some new office supplies.

calendar :: paper-source.com
This calendar is super cool because on the back of each month there is a printed template to make the heavy weight paper into everything from a file folder to a gift box. Love that!

books :: amazon.com
Back to school always meant a new reading list. These are two that I have been dying to read: The Designful Company by Marty Neumeier and Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die by Chip Heath & Dan Heath. Time to hit the books!

pretty file folders :: papersource.com
Can't take those icky manilla numbers. Makes keeping all of the those reports and meeting notes a little less of a chore when you have something pretty to put them in.

sharpie pens :: officemax.com
These are new. They are Sharpie. They rock. Enough said. (Also heard a rumor that they now come in purple and orange).

vintage child’s blackboard :: similar at etsy.com
I detest whiteboards. But I like to keep track of projects on the wall so I can quickly reference what's going on. Also helps me not to forget what I need to do when it's staring me in the face. Love the idea of a little chalk board for all of that necessary info.

stripey tool box :: alicesupply.com
As a designer/art director I use lots of tools and being in a corporate environment I use lots of tools that fellow employees don't understand. Sometimes, they need to be locked away. Plus this is just fun to look at. Good place to hide candy, too.

5 days a week mousepad/notepad :: knockknock.biz
The folks at Knock Knock are comic geniuses which is why it is one of my absolute fave's. I am always making notes on scraps of paper. This could serve as scratch pad and mousepad. Multi-tasking!

bento box lunch box by gastrokid :: plasticashop.com
No more sack lunch for this girl. I think this would make my sandwich taste better, don't you?And, if I put sushi in it, I'd be just like Molly Ringwald's character "Claire" in The Breakfast Club.

Midori D-clips in crocodile :: amazon.com
Forget those boring clips. I like getting my inner-preppy on with these croc-shaped lovelies. Just be careful--if you give a co-worker a stack of papers secured with one of the beauties you might not get it back! Another good item for the toolbox.

Think Different Apple posters :: ebay.com
When I worked in a design firm we had the best art. But the corporate environment can be so sterile and, well, beige. These are inspirational but not too edgy for the office. All of the Think Different posters are amazing, but these are my favorites. I am thinking of framing them together as a tryptich.

locker basket letter trays :: seejanework.com
Those standard issue smoked plastic contraptions must die. Love the vintage vibe of these. Plus you can SEE what's in there.

pencil cup in net with silver pencils :: susyjack
Susy Jack's stuff is amazing. She has such a great aesthetic and she assembles all of her items by hand--everything is eco-friendly.

moleskine notebook :: thedailyplanner.com
New Moleskine necessary for important tasks, to-do lists and perhaps mid-meeting doodling.

Stanley Bostitch deluxe hand held Stapler :: amazon.com
I guess it's a holdover from my days working in a dry cleaner, but I love this hand held stapler--it's small, strong and, best of all, hangs nicely on a pencil cup so you always know where to find it.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

But you are going back to school, Miss M - Journalism class. :) Alas, the #2 pencil bit is now replaced by a clanky keyboard, but you can still have swanky school swag to keep yourself entertained!